The Board received a report which provided an update on the collection of council tax. The report detailed the:
· collection rates in Halton over the past ten years;
· impact of localisation of council tax support;
· council tax arrears position for each of the past seven years;
· cash collection figures; and
· recovery action undertaken for council tax debt.
It was noted that despite increased recovery activity, the arrears had increased significantly each year and this trend was expected to continue. Arising from the discussion, it was agreed that a further report would be brought to a future meeting concerning the effects of additional court costs on individuals.
1. the latest position regarding the billing and collection of council tax as set out in the report be noted; and
2. a further report be brought to a future meeting concerning the effects of additional court costs on individuals.