The Board received a report from the Strategic Director, People, which outlined the progress regarding Halton’s successful bid in receiving part of a share of the Early Outcomes Fund.
It was reported that the TALK Halton project came into being as a result of a successful bid to the DfE as part of the Early Outcomes Fund in January 2019. Money from the DfE was awarded through the Early Outcomes Fund to:
· Reduce the proportion of children not reaching expected levels in Communication Language and Literacy in reception by 2028;
· Close the ‘word gap’ in areas of social disadvantage; and
· Ensure children who experience disadvantage were given the support they needed to succeed.
The report provided an update of the progress of the TALK Halton project presented to the Board in June, and summarised the context of the bid, evidenced the progress towards project aims and highlighted some of the challenges.
Members were pleased to receive the update and welcomed the progress made.
RESOLVED: That the Board
1) supports the drive of the TALK Halton project to improve children’s speech, language and communication skills as a core priority; and
2) receives a further update report on the progress of the project at the February 2020 meeting.