The Board received the Performance Management reports for quarter 2 of 2019-20 (1 July 2019 to 30 September 2019). Members were requested to consider and raise any questions or points of clarification in respect of these.
It was noted that the key priorities for development or improvement in 2019-20 were agreed by Members and included in the Local Authority’s Business Plan, for the various functional areas reported to the Board as follows:
· Education, Inclusion and Provision Services; and
· Children and Families Services.
The reports detailed progress made against objectives and milestones and performance targets and provided information relating to key developments and emerging issues that had arisen during the period.
Following presentation of the report the following comments were made/noted by Members:
· The Reading Strategy should include encouraging reading for pleasure with adults as well as children targeted;
· Attendance at schools was discussed, in particular regular persistent absences and the need to incentivise parents in certain situations;
· A pro forma was used by schools to document behavioural problems, which was sent to the LA so that if any additional support was needed this could be considered;
· It was accepted that some children often had issues in their lives that they struggled with and resulted in them going missing from school;
· An independent review on absence from school was offered by the Council to secondary schools in the Borough; they declined however, preferring to share data with the LA and between themselves;
· Page 28 PED0102 – the missing target figure would be checked and sent to Members;
· The children’s safeguarding partnership had now been launched;
· Cost pressures around residential placements for children still existed; and
· Further to the Inclusion Conference – it was confirmed that the Powerpoint slides had been sent to Schools following this. Feedback on the Charter would be included on the Spring Term Chair of Governor’s meeting agenda.
RESOLVED: That the Performance Management reports for quarter 2 of 2019/20 be received.