The Board considered a report of the Strategic Director, Enterprise, Community and Resources, which provided an update on Widnes Market, highlighting the investment which had gone into the Market in the recent past and outlining other initiatives which were contributing to the Markets current performance. The report provided detailed information on:
· The new management arrangements in place from October 2018;
· The Internal Audit carried out in February 2019 and the follow up report carried out in February 2021;
· Current occupancy rates;
· Investment in the Market since 2018 and new services and facilities which had been added;
· Sunday and Wednesday Markets and new food and drink traders
· The impact of Covid 19 and the support provided to traders; and
· Advertising and social media coverage.
Members were advised that following on from suggestions by traders, the Council was in the process of arranging the traders to nominate trader representatives who would attend regular meeting with the market management team to put ideas forward, ask questions and cascade information back to traders.
Arising from the discussion the Board was provided with information on rent arrears that had been written off, the market management team open door policy and the trader’s quarterly newsletter.
RESOLVED: That the report be noted.